Tuesday, February 20, 2007

All the great minds are gone

Hunter S. Thompson died two years ago today, and Gonzo journalism may have died with him. It's a shame, because he really is an underrated author. Too bad he did too many drugs to make a lasting difference, since no one I can see has risen to take his spot.

John Lennon is dead. He's been dead for a while. The title of this blog comes from a famous John Lennon song titled "Working Class Hero" from the 1970's album John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band. Some of the more radical working class may have loved Lennon, but Lennon was not working class--"Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV, and you think you're so clever and classless and free, but you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see," is not the words of a working class peasant [ed. --we're all peasants]. Lennon's are the words of an arrogant asshole who's time has passed: Hunter said in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Lennon was "ten years too late" with his solo political debut "Power to the People." In my opinion, Mark David Chapman thought Lennon was, in the terms of Holden Caulfield, a phoney so he shot Lennon in the chest. Hunter S. Thompson shot himself in the head with a shotgun at age 68.

I'm like Lennon and Thompson. I got bored with college, so as I dropped out to find myself and enter the working class. I try to stay down to earth, and champion the new working class. Eventually I might lead a paradigm shift in conciousness of the working class and we will call ourselves the New Age Folk. Right now I'm still searching for the truth, trying to figure out where Lennon, Thompson, and the Sixties went wrong so I don't make the same mistakes they did. I want to be the next "Working Class Anti-Hero."

Since Thompson and Lennon are both dead now, I guess I'd better give this revolution thing a try now before it's too late.

Power to the people, new age folk.
Power to the people, get back to work.

Peace.

No comments: