Saturday, February 24, 2007

You Must Not Know 'Bout Me / Boddhisattva in Training





Y'all are probably wondering, after reading a few of the articles on this blog [ed.-Do I even have readers?], who is this John Nauman, guy anyway. Each post he seems to be a different version of himself--which one is the real John Nauman? Well, if you're not wondering it, you should be. I am.

And you know what the answer is? I don't really know who the real me is just quite yet. That's why I'm stuck in this dead end job; that's why I'm not a famous writer just yet. But, hey you know what? I'm 27. And in the month since I've started this blog I've learned more than I ever thought I would know about myself. I tell you what, it takes a hell of a lot of courage to put all kinds of crazy pictures of yourself on the web accompanied by personal stories and invite others to take a look. But I still don't have enough courage to be the ultra-personal guy I am on this web page in real life. It's crazy. I'm a working class wallflower by day, and an internet stripper by night.

***

I just keep thinking what would be left of me if I died tomorrow. What would be left of my work? I've been thinking about this ever since the near-fatal car accident I got in about two years ago on the way to my great-grandmother's funeral in Maquoketa. I keep thinking about it to the point of obsession. I get nervous just riding in the passenger seat anymore. It's not death that scares me, but the idea that I will have died with most of my greatest work not even half-finished, but never even started. I really have nothing started. Nothing. Nothing aside from the thoughts inside my head [ed.-And on this "virtual tombstone" called Blogger], which would rest with me forever when I was dead. It's morbid to think about this so much, but it's part of who I am. My naked humanity exposed for all to see.

I keep reminding myself it's my own fault if people don't know the real me, not theirs. I haven't been open enough to share who I am. I need to move my ideas out of my head and into the real world; I need an audience...But I'm getting better one day at a time, letting little pieces, little "secret" characters of my mind escape as I get more comfortable with what I'm doing. Just imagine if I continue on this path, how great I could be in six months, a year, two years, five years, ten years, twenty years....Hell, in twenty years if I've kept this up and grown as I should, it'd be a miracle if I'm not famous. 20 years is a hell of a lot of time to grow--I'd be 47, almost twice as old as I am now. Imagine who I'll be then. Just take it one day at a time. Teach the world what I know. Whew...I'm happier now. See.

Laughing Buddha

Bo·dhi·satt·va [boh-duh-suht-vuh]
noun Buddhism.
a person who has attained prajna, or Enlightenment, but who postpones Nirvana in order to help others to attain Enlightenment: individual Bodhisattvas are the subjects of devotion in certain sects and are often represented in painting and sculpture.
Compare Arhat.
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)
Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2006


Peace.

No comments: